Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Okay, I have a confession to make. Last night I was trying to make dinner for my husband and his parents and sister because they were all here to help us lay sprinklers for our front yard.  So I had a bunch of tomatoes we got from some neighbors and my parents, right from the garden!  I had to use them because they were getting soft and they were too delicious to let go rotten, so I decided to turn them into soup!  

At first my plan was to make tomato soup like the previous recipe listed.  But then I realized I had these nice Hatch chiles I got in my Bountiful Basket on Saturday and wouldn't that be tasty with some black beans and some of the corn I also got in said basket.  So I diced up the chiles, drained and rinsed some beans and cut the corn off the cob and defrosted some chicken to throw in and here we are, a variation on the famous Chicken Tortilla Soup.  It ended up being a hit with my husband, even though his family happened to have already eaten before they showed up.  And now I have leftovers for the rest of the week. Win Win, right?  An experiment turned success is always a good thing!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced 
8-10 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 can chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 Hatch chiles, seeded, ribs removed, and diced finely
1 can drained and rinsed black beans
1 c corn (canned, frozen or fresh)
1 chicken breast, chopped up small
dash of habanero hot sauce, optional

Suggested toppings: sour cream, mashed avocados/guacamole, grated cheese, tortilla chips, chopped cilantro

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil til onions are translucent and tender.  Add tomatoes and cook til they soften and release their juices.  Add a dash of salt and the can of chicken broth and chiles and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Saute chicken in a bit of olive oil til fully cooked through. Set aside.

Pull out immersion blender and blend the soup as it cooks til it is smooth.  Add beans, corn, hot sauce, and chicken, and simmer for another 10 or so minutes.  Serve hot with your desired toppings. Makes enough for about 6 people, or enough for 1-2 people for a week.   

Probably freezes nicely, I don't know I haven't tried.  haha

No comments:

Post a Comment