Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Buttermilk Pancakes

The last few days have been tough around our house because our little guy has been cutting 3 teeth at once.  Today the husband came home to a cranky baby, an unshowered wife, and a messy house.   He immediately took over by putting the baby in the chair to eat, letting me shower, and doing dishes.  He also decided tonight was a good night for pancakes... being that a) we needed to use up some buttermilk we had in the fridge, and b) we needed something simple and fast.

So I went on a hunt for a recipe (being that I usually cheat and use Bisquick (though I sometimes doctor it) for pancakes/waffles/biscuits/shortcake/etc). I found one on AllRecipes, which is a great resource for loads of different ingredients and ideas.  I love that you can do an ingredient search there and find all kinds of different recipes.

This recipe turned out very well, but made a BOATLOAD of pancakes.  So unless you have a family of 6 or 8 people, I would half it.  I think this single batch made about 16 pancakes.  They were, however, very delicious and I think they will be good leftover by reheating them in the toaster oven.

Buttermilk Pancakes

3 c all purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar (I left this out, they turned out fine without it)
3 tsp baking powder (very important...makes them fluffy)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 c buttermilk
1/2 c milk
3 eggs
1/3 c melted butter (I bet vegetable oil would work fine, I didn't mess with it this time but after eating them I don't think it would make a big difference and will probably swap it next time)
Optional: blueberries or strawberries or other fruits you like in your pancakes

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt).  Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together milk, buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs.

Heat a large electric griddle (or cast iron one/or skillet on the stove), to roughly 300 degrees.  Should be hot enough that a drop of water will skip on the top of the pan.

When griddle is good and hot, combine wet ingredients with the dry, and mix until blended (will be slightly lumpy, that's okay).  Grease the skillet or griddle and using a ladle or measuring cup pour batter onto griddle in 1/2 c amount.  (If you decided to add fruit, put it in each pancake after pouring onto griddle)

When bubbles around the edges stop filling up and bubbling again (creating little holes or craters around the edges), flip over and cook the other side.

Serve hot with your favorite pancake toppings. My husband likes peanut butter and sugar free syrup, I enjoy syrup and sometimes butter, or fruit, or sometimes thinned down jam. Whatever you like.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment