Friday, February 12, 2010

BBQ Meatballs

From my mother in law, or more specifically, the ad she found in the paper on Sunday, here is a recipe for BBQ meatballs. The recipe came from the company that makes frozen meatballs, so I am going to have to create my own recipe for that here, and I hope you enjoy! You could do this in the crockpot too, but you would have to either use frozen meatballs from the store, or make them ahead and bake them first, then add to the sauce in the crock pot.

p.s. I am so sorry for not posting recently, I havent really had any inspiration lately and I need some more ideas. So it will be a bit slow in the next little bit. thanks for your patience with me!

BBQ Meatballs

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork (or sausage)
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 c oatmeal or breadcrumbs
1 egg
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c finely chopped or grated onion (or onion powder)
salt, pepper
1 12 oz jar of grape or current jelly
1 c Famous Dave's BBQ sauce

Combine meats, W. sauce, oatmeal, spices, and egg with hands til well mixed. Form into meatballs, bake for 15 to 2o minutes in a 13x9 baking dish. Meanwhile, blend jelly and bbq sauce in saucepan with whisk, over low heat. Add sauce to meatballs, bake another 15 minutes. If using crockpot, remove meatballs from oven and add to preheated crockpot. Add sauce, combine, to coat well. Set crock pot to LOW setting, so it barely simmers.

Cathy serves this with warm garlic toast, but you could also do this meatball sub style on a hoagie roll, or with rice or something, or of course on its own for a party snack (I think that's the purpose, it was in the Superbowl Sunday paper).

**NOTE**
--You dont have to use Famous Dave's BBQ sauce, but we like it anyway, and that's what the recipe uses. You could go buy pre-made frozen meatballs and I wont be offended, but this is what I would do.

--Preheating your crockpot is very important in this. I am pretty sure I mentioned why in the clam chowder recipe, but I will go over it again here. If you add hot food to a cold crockpot, it shocks the ceramic and it can crack from the shock. make sure you set your crockpot to the low setting right about when you put the meatballs in the oven, so when you transfer its already had time to heat up properly. The opposite applies for cold food and a hot crockpot--never add cold food to a hot crockpot, because it can crack it.

No comments:

Post a Comment