Saturday, February 13, 2010

For my Honey

This is one of Jeff's favorite breakfasts, and I don't make it very often because its not the healthiest thing we could eat. Occasionally I make it for him on weekends, and I did this morning as a valentines treat (and I just happened to have the ingredients for it). We both enjoy it, and I am by no means trying to downplay it at all, its just not something people should eat more than a few times a year, haha. A country classic, and definitely tasty--try it out for yourself!

Biscuits and Gravy

2 c all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
7 tbsp cold butter, sliced, plus 3 tbsp
3/4 c cold milk

1 lb pork sausage, any flavor (I used sage)
1-2 tbsp flour
2 c milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch paprika

Preheat oven to 45o degrees. In 13x9 cake pan, place 3 tbsp butter, and melt while oven preheats. Mix dry ingredients for biscuits together, add butter, and cut in with pastry blender or 2 forks. Add milk, and use fork to combine to make dough. Use hands to knead gently til combined completely (not long, should be only about a minute). Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness, cut with biscuit cutter or round glass. Place biscuits in melted butter in pan, bake for 12 minutes.

While biscuits are baking, brown sausage in non stick skillet. When completely cooked, add flour and stir to coat sausage. Add milk, and stir til thickened; add more milk if too thick. Add spices.

Split biscuits in half, and pour gravy over top, enjoy! Might want to add some fruit or something to make you feel better about eating the smothered biscuits...haha.

1 comment:

  1. I can honestly say I have NEVER had biscuits and gravy. When I go out to eat breakfast I always get french toast. But my dad would get biscuits and gravy. And it always smelled SO good. Matthew likes it, so I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete