Thursday, January 3, 2013

Balsamic Sauteed Carrots and Onions

I wish I had thought to take a picture of these before they got eaten up, but they disappeared fast and I was more concerned about feeding my 7 month old than fussing about photos.  They were, however, delicious.  A fantastic compliment to the pork I roasted tonight for dinner. Super delicious, and super fast to make!  Perfect combination for a vegetable side dish for dinner, right? I hope you like them as much as I did.

Balsamic Sauteed Carrots and Onions

5 or 6 medium to large carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces (I cut them into shorter sticks)
1 small onion, halved and sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

In a skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.  Add carrots and onions and saute til onions become almost tender, but not completely.  Add the splash of balsamic and continue to cook and stir it around so it coats everything.  Add salt and pepper to taste, about 1/4 tsp each usually.  Keep cooking til the onions become tender and brown a bit and the vinegar burns off (you want the balsamic flavor but not the acidity).   Carrots should be tender but not soft. Serve hot with your favorite protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment