Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pork Loin Roast

A few months back our local grocery store had a sale on their pork loin roasts.  It was a really good price and I am always looking for a decent deal on meat that I can buy bunches of and freeze for another time.  Only trouble was that the whole roasts were about 8 to 10 pounds a piece, which is WAY more than the hubby and I can eat, and the baby isn't eating meat yet. So I brought 2 of them home, opened them up and cut them into 5 smaller roasts, roughly 1.5 to 2 lbs each so they were more manageable portions for us to eat  for dinner.  (I didn't think about the fact that you can usually ask the butcher at your grocery store to do this for you--less mess at home, and they have the right tools to get it done and weigh it for you, too!)  I froze them in ziplock freezer bags, and tonight I decided to use one of them for dinner.

Well, I was visiting downtown Salt Lake City this morning for our little guy's doctor appointment, and didnt have time to put the roast in the crock pot before we left.  So I ended up pulling out the cookbook to figure out how to roast it in the oven instead.  I have to admit here, my spice and seasoning methods were not the same as in the book, but I did use the roasting information to make sure I cooked it long enough and it got to the right temp before we ate it.

Here's my method.  I wish I had taken a picture of it before I sliced it all up...maybe I'll take a pic of the slices so you can see it all finished.  It turned out really tasty. :)


Pork Roast

1 2-3 lb pork loin roast
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp course ground pepper (I like to use a grinder)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp each rosemary and sage

Rub entire roast with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sage, and rosemary.  Place in a medium casserole pan.

Heat oven to 500 degrees. Place roast on middle rack of oven and roast for 10-15 minutes.  Reduce oven temp to 250 and continue to roast for another hour to hour and a half.  Slice thin and serve with your favorite veggie and starch (we did baked potatoes and sauteed onions and carrots).

No comments:

Post a Comment