Saturday, February 23, 2013

Getting Healthy

Okay, dear readers.  I am going to try and change things up just a little bit.  I have realized that my life could use a bit of a face lift, if you will, in the way of more activity and less calories.

Two weeks ago, I began watching The Biggest Loser (starting with season 1) on our Hulu Plus account.  I realized that I was heavier than several of the contestants, and shorter too.  I realize that not everyone is the same, and that I have certain limitations of course, but I need to do something to get back on track and get healthier. Watching the transformations of the contestants, and also watching their journeys, and hearing the trainers tips has given me some motivation to really get myself going again.

I need to do this for a 2-fold reason: the first is because I need to be here for my husband and son for many more years. Not only has my weight gotten out of control, but my cholesterol has, too. I can't keep going on the way I have if I want to keep going for another 60 or so years.

The second reason is because I would REALLY like to get back to the size I was when I met my husband 6 years ago. I'd be happier if I could get smaller, but being realistic here and knowing I have had a baby since then and my hips are not what they once were....pre-wedding size would be great!

In order to achieve my goals I have decided to change my diet and be more active. I am not going crazy about the diet, just less carbs, more protein, more veggies and fruit, and lots less fat (especially of the red meat, butter, cheese and egg variety).  I am trying to incorporate more fish into my diet, and chicken, and I will be trying some egg white recipes as well. I've been using olive oil a lot more than butter.  And while I love cheese, it's just not great for my cholesterol.  I have some health limitations that do not allow me to take cholesterol medication, so I need to be very careful about my diet as a result.

I'm working on being more active by playing some games on the Xbox Kinect my husband and I own, and in the spring I plan to walk outside more and take my son to the park, and overall just get moving. I plan to also eventually add in some yoga, some weight lifting, and other stuff. But for now I am just trying to get off my rear and do something better than sit on the couch.  Right now that is in the form of dance games on the Kinect because I enjoy it and I can keep at it because it is fun.

This relates to this blog because of the recipe aspect of things.  Because I will not be eating a lot of butter, red meat, cheese, and egg yolks, you may see some marked changes to my blog with recipes involving quinoa, ground turkey, ground chicken, egg whites, other grains, etc. Some things will just be substituting ground turkey for hamburger, and some will be just different because I am changing my lifestyle.

I hope you will join me in my new quest, and I hope you enjoy the recipes as well.  I'd love your feedback if you have any, so please feel free to comment when you feel like it. I'd love to hear some substitutions you've used that would help my life style changes. Of course if anyone wants to join me in trying to lose weight and cooking in a more healthy way, please feel free. I may start posting progress as I go, as far as weight lost and such.

Until then, here's to happy, healthy cooking!

2 comments:

  1. I think we as Americans tend to think of the least energy expending way to do things. But I feel I need to stop thinking that way, and think how can I do the same task with more energy output. I have a store around the corner from me where I shop. I could walk there, but I often ride the bike because it's "easier". I need to quit thinking that way and find more ways to move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!! I too have recently made some major changes to the way I am living and eating...and I am feeling WAY healthier as a result. My headaches, which I used to have daily, are almost entirely gone...and I have lost over 21 lbs in just 2 months (without exercise...not saying I shouldn't be exercising, because I should be :-).

    The power of whole foods is incredible!!!

    I have literally stopped eating processed foods, including any foods that have "extra" ingredients in it. I literally had no idea before that some foods had so many chemicals in it. For instance, Meadow Gold sour cream had chemicals in them that can cause weight gain, headaches, and even cancer...I wrote a blog post about it on my family blog if you want to check it out.

    http://anniebofannie.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-truth-about-our-food-meadow-gold.html

    It has really opened my eyes and made me pay attention to what I am putting in my mouth, and how it can negatively effect me. And it has also made me wonder WHY THE HECK ALL THIS GARBAGE IS IN MY FOOD!?!

    I now spend about 80% of my grocery budget in the produce department, and rarely find reason to walk down any of the middle isles. It has been hard, and yet it has actually made my food choices really simple. The labels don't matter so much, because if it is a "real" food I eat it, if it isn't I don't. I literally will never EVER go back to the way I used to eat.

    There are a few documentaries on Netflix I think are awesome:

    "Hungry For Change" (love it! And if you only watch one...I would recommend this one:-)

    and

    "Fat, sick, and nearly dead"---also awesome, it is about a guy who uses green juices to get healthy...but the same can also be done with just eating "micronutrient" rich foods.

    Also, a great resource, that I just love, is this food pyramid mentioned in the movie. It is way different than the food pyramid we are used to seeing...I think that is why I love it so much! (his site is also really fun to explore)

    http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/foodpyramid.aspx#.USwg16tARWc

    Anyhow, sorry for going on and on and on and on. I have been on such a learning journey these past few months that I just wanted to share. I hope you will check out some of the links, and I really, truly, wish you all the luck in the world as you start this journey for yourself. Better Health Awaits!!!

    ok, I am done...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete