Monday, February 25, 2013

Turkey Tacos

As my first recipe for my "get healthy lifestyle," we tried ground turkey tacos tonight. One of my closest friends suggested substituting ground turkey where I would normally use ground beef and see if I could tell the difference.  I decided to give it a try.  So tonight we had ground turkey tacos in whole wheat tortillas.  They turned out fantastic!  Definitely a repeat recipe.  I hope you'll try them and like them as much we did.

Ground Turkey Tacos

1.25 lbs of ground turkey or ground turkey breast
1 tbsp olive oil (to keep things from sticking)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp taco seasoning
1/4 tsp each of garlic powder, coriander, chili powder
1 c water
pkg of whole wheat tortillas

optional toppings: grated cheese (can use low fat, I chose to use regular and just use less. extra sharp cheddar allows me to use lots less and still get good flavor), fresh guacamole (I made it with 1 avocado, a bit of salt and cayenne pepper, and some lemon juice.  It's a heart healthy fat, so don't use too much of it, but don't skip it because of the fat, either), diced tomatoes, shredded green leaf lettuce, salsa, light sour cream, jalapenos....the possibilities are endless.

In a hot skillet, add olive oil and turkey and brown as if it's ground beef.  Add taco seasoning and other spices, and stir.  Add water and simmer for about 5 minutes to allow to thicken. Add beans and peppers and stir and saute a bit.  Serve hot with tortillas and toppings. I had 2 and with the toppings I used, including the tortillas and turkey and beans, they were each about 250 calories.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment