Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Grilled Tuna Steaks

Okay, so I made this for dinner last night and never got around to posting it til now.  Sorry about that.   This recipe actually came out of my in-law's barbecue book--the one that came with the grill-- and it has been a hit with Jeff's family for awhile.  I tried it for the first time last year and loved it, and now I am sharing it with all of you.  I strongly suggest using fresh ginger and garlic, it really makes a difference.  I have done it both ways and it was way better the second time through with the fresh ginger--dried ginger just isn't as flavorful.  I served this with couscous, which I will also include the recipe for, after the tuna marinade.

Grilled Tuna

1/4 c soy sauce
2 tbsp dark sesame seed oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp minced or grated fresh ginger (or the stuff you can get in the tube at the grocery store in the refrigerated section near the produce)
1 tbsp minced or grated garlic
1 scallion sliced thin
4 tuna steaks, about half an inch to an inch thick

Mix marinade together, pour over steaks.  You can also do this in a ziplock bag, but I did it in a corningware dish so I could flip the tuna and get both sides well coated and soaked.  Be careful with the tuna, it can come apart if you press or pinch it too hard.  After half an hour at minimum, 1-2 hours maximum, grill tuna over medium heat for about 5 minutes per side.  If you like just seared tuna, then just a couple minutes per side.  My family prefers all meat and fish besides beef steaks to be fully cooked, but tuna can get kind of dry if you cook it too long...I liked mine about medium rare, same as I like my steak.

Cous Cous

2 c water
2 c cous cous
1/2 c celery, finely chopped
1/2 bell pepper (I used red), finely chopped
3 scallions, sliced thin
1/2 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
2-3 tbsp soy sauce
1-2 tbsp olive oil
couple drops sesame oil

In a medium saucepan, heat water, soy sauce, olive oil, and sesame oil to boiling.  While waiting for water to boil, quickly saute the vegetables in a bit of olive oil and soy sauce til they are tender.  Once water boils, add veggies and cous cous, stiring well to keep from clumping; cover and remove from heat.  Wait 5 minutes for cous cous to steam, then fluff with a fork and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment