Saturday, August 21, 2010

Spinach Alfredo Pasta with Veggies

I made this on Thursday, and I haven't had a chance to sit down and post it til now.  I made a version of this, kind of, awhile back called Linguini Alfredo, but this one is a bit different.  This time I used rotini pasta, and I used chopped fresh spinach and added peas, but no mushrooms.  I like the flavor the peas brought to it, kind of made it taste fresher to me.  I also used sausage instead of chicken.  Anyway, enjoy.

Spinach Alfredo Pasta

1 lb box of pasta, any shape that holds sauce well (I don't recommend the strand kinds, short pastas work better)
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
3 c milk
1/2 c parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp onion powder
dash of salt and pepper
2 c chopped fresh spinach
1 c frozen peas
1 c broccoli florets
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (we had this stuff we got on sale with sundried tomatoes and mozzarella and spinach, it worked well..but use whatever. you could also use italian sausage in the casing--just cook it all the way through, then slice it into slices, rather than slicing and heating)

Cook pasta to pkg directions.  While waiting for water to boil and pasta to cook, melt butter in a medium saucepan.  Once melted, add flour and whisk to form roux.  Add milk and continue to whisk til smooth.    Add cheese, continue to whisk til smooth.   Add onion powder and salt and pepper, whisk til combined.  Set aside.  In a small skillet, cook sausage slices til heated through; set aside.  Steam broccoli in small saucepan; set aside.  I zapped the peas in the microwave for about a minute to take the chill off, but they dont need to be fully heated.  When pasta is done cooking, heat sauce again, and add spinach to sauce, stir til spinach is wilted into sauce and combined.  Toss pasta with broccoli, peas, and sausage.  Pour sauce over everything, and toss well.

Serve with more parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment