Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stuffing...not just for Thanksgiving!

I am a firm believer that you don't have to wait for Thanksgiving to have turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes....and of course rolls and pie!!  This post is only for stuffing though.  I love it!  My mom and step-dad have been making this stuff their own way for years, and I have morphed my own recipe because theirs isn't my fave...sorry Mom!  We were invited to a friend's house on Sunday because they roasted a HUGE turkey and needed help eating it.  This guy knows how to roast a bird, let me tell you... and I brought my favorite side dish to go along side...it even won over the non stuffing lovers...!  Enjoy!

Stuffing

1 pkg herb seasoned stuffing
1 small pkg cornbread stuffing
1 can chicken broth
1 stick of butter
1/2 c celery
1/2 c onion
1 lb pork sausage (usually use the country kind)
1 c cashew halves
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced

Pour stuffing pkgs into a large mixing bowl, toss to combine.  Brown sausage in a skillet, and break into crumbly pieces. Set aside.  In same skillet you browned the sausage in, melt the butter, and then promptly add celery, onions, eventually, when onions and celery are tender, mushrooms.  Sauté veggies together til mushrooms shrink down and veggies are completely tender, and then dump this (make sure you get all of the butter in there too) and sausage into bowl with stuffing mix.  Add cashews and mix well.  Add chicken stock, stirring as you go so you get it moistened evenly but not soggy.  Pour this whole mixture into a greased 9x13 baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Pull out of oven, and stir so the top and bottom are swapped (kind of flip or turn the stuffing so the top doesn't burn and the bottom stuff gets slightly crisped.)  Bake another 10 minutes.

Serve with your favorite fixings, or just on its own.  I love this stuff!!

No comments:

Post a Comment