Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Healthified" Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

This one is a Betty Crocker recipe I have changed to my liking, but originally was referred to by my cousin Connie.   I give you my changes here, but you can also do what the actual recipe calls for which can be found here.  I thought they turned out well, if you ask me.  I substituted raisins for semisweet chocolate chips because my husband isn't too fond of raisins, but you could easily use the raisins.   Enjoy!

Healthified Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 c)
1/2 c Splenda
1/4 c plus 2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 c white sugar
1/3 c buttermilk
2 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 c old fashioned rolled oats
1 c raisins or chocolate chips
1/3 c chopped nuts of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray or grease cookie sheets.  In a large bowl, beat butter, sugars, and Splenda.  Add buttermilk, egg whites and vanilla until well mixed.    On low speed, beat in flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, until combined.  (I mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl first, then add them slowly to the wet in parts.)  Add oats, chocolate chips and nuts and beat on low setting until well combined.  Drop rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheet, and slightly flatten with a fork.  Bake for 11-13 minutes.  Cool on a cooling rack, and store in a tightly covered container.

**NOTE** I didn't have buttermilk, so I mixed a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it stand for 5 minutes.  You can use the leftovers for pancakes or something later.  The recipe calls for low fat vegetable oil spread (margarine) which I detest, so I used real butter.  It's a bit higher in fat, but I am not okay with eating margarine...tastes funny to me and I prefer using real stuff rather than synthetically made stuff.  You can use whatever you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment