Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Valentines Tradition

So Valentines Day is coming up, and this is one of my classic traditions for that very special day. My mom got this recipe somewhere and I have loved them my whole life! I am making them a bit early this year because of a baby shower, but normally this is a special thing I do for me and my husband and family every February. You can use any cookie cutter shape you like, but of course, I usually use a heart shape. Frosted or not, these are a definite hit!

Sugar Cookies

1/2 c butter (1 stick)
1/2 c shortening
2 c sugar, or 1 c sugar and 1 c Splenda
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 tbsp vanilla
7 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar/splenda, and then eggs, one at a time. Add sour cream and vanilla and blend well. Add salt and baking soda and blend well Add flour in parts, blending to combine well before adding the next part (I usually do about a cup at a time). Make sure everything is combined, and if not, knead with hands. You don't have to chill this one, but you can make it the night before and chill overnight as time permits.

Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick, cut with favorite cookie cutter(s), and place on baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Frost with colored frosting if desired (recipe below)

Buttercream Frosting

1 1/2 lbs powdered sugar (3/4 of a box or bag)
1/2 c milk
1/2 c butter (1 stick)
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
food coloring

Soften butter in mixer, then add sugar, and milk slowly in parts, alternating each til you get the right consistency. Add vanilla and salt and blend well, and then add food coloring drops and blend to get desired color.

Frogs and ducks for my sister's baby shower...my decorating skills need help!

2 comments:

  1. I've never had shortening in sugar cookies before. What is it suppose to do?
    You can just inbox me on facebook.

    ReplyDelete