Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Breakfast" Cake (as my dad calls it)

Haha, had to start that with a joke, which I now realize is only funny to me. The real title of this recipe is Danish Coffee Cake, but my dad always says, "We don't drink coffee, so we call it 'breakfast' cake," whenever we eat and make this. My grandma makes this Christmas morning to go with our John Wayne Casserole (recipe located here), when we don't have those delicious Spiced Nut Waffles (go here for recipe). Easy to make, but I think Grandma makes it the night before--tastes good warm or room temperature.

Danish Coffee Cake

2 1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1 c brown sugar (or half splenda and half brown sugar)
3/4 c vegetable oil
1 tsp salt

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl, add oil gradually and blend well. Take out 3/4 c and reserve for topping. To the remaining batter, add:

1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 c buttermilk

Beat well and pour into large (9x13in) flat pan. To the reserved topping add
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c chopped nuts of your choice

sprinkle topping over cake. Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, then cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment