Friday, January 15, 2010

Writers Block stinks!

This one is for my brother in law. he asked for doughnuts, and I told him I would work on it. Actually I am making these today. I can't think of anything else to write today, so I am linking you to FoodNetwork.com today. Enjoy! I'll let you know what I think when I am done!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/sweet-potato-doughnuts-with-maple-icing-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/potato-doughnuts-recipe/index.html

Okay, so I made them today and here is the consensus:

1. According to Daniel, they were better than the recipe he tried a little while ago. He liked the spudnuts best.

2. I liked the sweet potato ones better, thought the potato ones needed a glaze or something.

3. You can use half splenda for the sweet potato ones and they turn out just fine. They would probably be good with the icing she has in the recipe, but we just dusted them with powdered sugar and they were GRAND!

4. Definitely doing this again sometime, but I need to find a way to make the spud-nuts sweeter next time, they kinda tasted like fry bread to me, rather than donuts. Maybe I will try making maple icing for the spud-nuts next time, instead of the sweet potato ones. Or maybe for both...haha

5. Daniel says, and I agree with him, that it works best if you have a deep fryer because of the fact that it has a built in timer, and consistent heat method rather than on the stove where you kind of have to play with it. If you use the stove, be careful, and use a thermometer and a timer.

All in all it was a success, and I am glad for the fun and tasty learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment