Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bountiful Basket, Week One

Okay, so this morning I got up at 7am with my hubby to go get my first Bountiful Basket and put it in the fridge.  yes, I sacrificed sleeping in on my Saturday for this basket....that's how much I was excited about it, and how much I am dedicated to this new blog experiment.  Yes, I went to bed again when I got home, and yes, I was cranky the rest of the day, but that's beside the point.  Anywho....here is the list of what we got.

1 head of romaine lettuce
1 bunch of spinach
1 bunch of broccoli
1 bag of grapes
2 pomegranates (the big ones)
about 8 small sweet potatoes
3 parsnips
6 granny smith apples
6 Bartlett pears
1 pineapple
4 beefsteak tomatoes on the vine
2 bunches of bananas

I am in the process of coming up with ways to use these ingredients in some creative way that I haven't already used on this blog.  I will keep you posted how that goes and update the blog when I have made something new.  If you have been following this blog, you will notice none of these ingredients are things I have not used before---I have used them each in some way or another.  So this week shouldn't be too much of a challenge to get some recipes for.  My mother in law already used half of the lettuce and half of the spinach, but we will be using the rest of everything else this week.

Happy Cooking!  Go to www.bountifulbaskets.org if you would like to sign up for a bountiful basket or head up a location in your area.  Trust me, you won't regret it.  Did I mention I got all of the stuff listed above for one low contribution rate of $15??  I did.  And there is at least $50 worth of fresh produce in that list.  And they try to keep it as local as possible.  So you get super fresh and ripe produce and you are also supporting your local economy!  Good deal, huh?  So go get started!  You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment