Saturday, December 5, 2009

My take on good Lasagna

This was personally created by me one day when I decided I had craved lasagna long enough, and I should just make some. I ended up loving it, and wrote down what I could remember from when I made it. Thankfully, Lasagna is forgiving, so you can do pretty much whatever fillings you like in it. If you don't like tomatoes or mushrooms just leave them out. I made this with whole wheat lasagna noodles, and an alfredo sauce. Try it if you like!

Lasagna

1 lb. pork sausage or Italian sausage
8 oz sliced mushrooms (about half a pkg.)
3 vine tomatoes, diced
White sauce, recipe below
2 eggs
32 oz ricotta cheese
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 c. mozzarella cheese
1/3 c parmesan cheese
1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles

Alfredo sauce

Melt 4 tbsp butter in saucepan, add 4 tbsp flour to create roux. Whisk in 2 cups milk, and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Mix til smooth consistency.

Directions:
Cook pasta to pkg. directions, drain, rinse with cold water, and let dry.
Sauté sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes together in pan, let cool, set aside.
In large bowl, blend together ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses, with egg, salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach to cheese mixture.

Put a little of the sauce in the bottom of a 13x9x2 pan, add a layer of the noodles, then top with cheese mixture and sausage, alternating between noodle layers. (Noodles, sausage, noodles, cheese, noodles, sausage, noodles, cheese, noodles) then top the whole thing with more mozzarella, and bake in oven at 350 for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. You might need to put a cookie sheet under the pan so you don’t get stuff all over your oven.

This recipe does take a bit of time, but I think it's worth it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find Whole Wheat noodles that are the "no boil" kind. So it adds about 12 minutes to your cooking time. If you want to use regular no boil noodles, feel free, I just like the whole wheat pasta, and it's better for my diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment