Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cod Fish Cakes

So I was chatting it up with my fantastic friend Amie, trying to decide what to do for dinner tonight.  Jeff wanted fish, so I had pulled out a couple of the cod fillets we had in the freezer.  She had said that recently she made fish cakes with some cod, using cod and mashed potatoes and spices.  I decided to give them a try.  I hope you enjoy, Jeff and I really liked them.

Cod Fish Cakes

2-3 c milk
2 medium cod fillets
1/2 c mashed potato
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
dill
lemon juice
seasoning salt
breadcrumb or panko
2 eggs

In medium saucepan, cook milk and cod together, and bring to low boil, stirring so it doesn't burn.  I seasoned the milk a bit with a shake of cayenne and some seasoning salt.  While fish was cooking, I boiled the potatoes and then drained and mashed them.   When cod starts to fall apart, drain over a large bowl.  Set milk aside, and in a different bowl, break fish into flakes.  Add lemon juice, dill, cayenne, and garlic powder, stir to combine.   Once potato is mashed, mix 1/2 a cup of it with the fish mixture, along with one of the eggs (this helps bind everything together without using mayo).   In a small bowl, beat the other egg well, and place breadcrumb in a different bowl.  Shape the fish mixture into cakes, and dip in egg, then dredge in breadcrumb.  Fry in a couple tbsp of olive oil.

Now, you may remember the reserved milk...I turned this into a sauce, not wanting to waste it by dumping it down the drain!  It had all of that fish flavor and the seasoning I had added, so all I had to do was thicken it.  I just melted some butter down in a small saucepan (not much, just a tbsp or 2), and then added a couple tbsp of flour and then added the milk.  Whisk it all together and let it cook over medium high heat til thickened, and if you like, add more spices to kick it up a bit.

Serve cakes with a squeeze of lemon and some of the sauce on top, and with your favorite veggie or salad.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment