Monday, April 5, 2010

Pina Colada Curried Chicken

Happy Easter everyone!  My husband and I enjoyed the holiday and had a wonderful time with family.  I am glad to be home and happy to get to routine again.  I was trying to figure out what to do with the leftover coconut milk and crushed pineapple from Jeff making pina colada smoothies last night.   That recipe is still being perfected, but when we figure it out, no worries, I will post it.   In the meantime, here is something I tried today that has turned out well.    A creation I came up with on a whim and it turned out well.  Enjoy!

Pina Colada Curried Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2/3 c coconut milk
2/3 c crushed pineapple
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground ginger
2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
salt/soy sauce
white rice

Place chicken in cold crock pot.  Pour coconut milk over the top and add pineapple.   Sprinkle curry powder over the top of everything and stir to coat.  Set crockpot to High setting for 4 hours.  when finished, shred chicken up and mix into sauce, and then serve over rice, top with scallions and a wedge of lime.

**Note**
After we had dinner we decided it needed a couple more flavors.  Next time I do this I am going to add carrot slices and ginger and a bit of salt.  And I think it would be good with some sliced or finely chopped onion.  I would add all of this when you first mix the coconut milk and pineapple with the chicken and curry.  And of course it wouldn't be bad to add some shredded coconut to the mix.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you can make thai rice out of the coconut milk. I have never tried, mind you...
    Pineapple does not last in my house. Both my kids will eat it if left out on the counter. Great recipe!
    http://shamrockandshenanigans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so yummy! I'm going to steal this one! :)

    ReplyDelete