Monday, April 12, 2010

Corn Chowder

We cooked a lot this weekend and I tried this recipe I found in my Boston Globe cookbook (I made a few changes to my liking).   I originally made it because we had a potluck lunch after church yesterday and I had signed up to bring some.  Very tasty and incredibly easy!  Basic ingredients I usually have around, with the exception of bacon.   It was really good, and It think I might even eat the leftovers for lunch today.  Yum!  I'm doubling the recipe because 6 servings is just never enough for us.

Corn Chowder

8 slices bacon, diced small
1 large onion, finely chopped
8 c peeled and diced potatoes
1/2 c mashed potato
2 c water
2-12 oz cans of evaporated milk (thicker than regular milk, less fat than cream)
4 c frozen or fresh corn, cut from the cob
3/4 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper
a dash of cayenne  pepper

Cook bacon in the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pot.  Add onions and continue to cook til tender.   Add water and dicedpotatoes, simmer til potatoes are tender.  Add milk and mashed potato (helps it to thicken a bit), and stir to combine.  Add corn, salt, pepper, cayenne.  Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment