Monday, April 12, 2010

Lemon Almond Rice Pudding

Okay, so this is originally from Giada DiLaurentis from Food Network, but I made a bit of change to it.  I don't drink alcohol, so we don't have it around--so I subbed amaretto liqueur with almond extract.  I also don't keep vanilla beans around, so I used vanilla extract instead.  I also just did without the heavy whipping cream, and it was fine without.  I thought it turned out well, and you can go here for the ORIGINAL recipe, and I am posting my changes on the blog.  I will also post a couple of things I might try the next time I make it.  Enjoy!

Lemon and Almond Rice Pudding

4 c whole milk
1/2 c arborio rice (has to be this because of the high starch content.  might be able to use a different short grain rice)
1/2 c sugar (no Splenda this time)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/2 c fresh lemon juice (juice of 3 lemons)
1 tbsp almond extract
1/8 c water
zest of 3 lemons
1/4 c toasted sliced or finely chopped almonds

In a medium sized heavy bottomed saucepan, combine milk, rice, sugar, vanilla extract and salt.  Bring to boil, stirring frequently to keep from burning.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 35 minutes, rice should be tender.  In a medium bowl, while simmering rice and milk mixture, combine lemon juice, zest, water, and almond extract.  Stir lemon mixture into rice and milk mixture slowly, and then simmer another 10 minutes.  Refrigerate 4 hours, it will thicken as it cools.

*Note*  Giada says you can serve into small bowls before refrigerating, but I just had it in the pot and refrigerated it all together.   When you serve it, top with the almonds.  I found its a bit nicer the next day, but the lemon juice does make it pretty acidic.  That might be what the whipping cream does, cuts some of the acidity.  I thought it thickened nicely without, and it was a bit lighter.  To sweeten it, you can up the almond extract or vanilla, or just a couple more tbsp of sugar.  It's not so much tart as it is just very lemony.

No comments:

Post a Comment