Friday, April 16, 2010

French Onion Soup

So I mentioned earlier this week that we had a potluck at church on Sunday.  The theme was soup, and I already posted the Corn Chowder recipe.  Today is another soup, and it's from one of my fabulous friends, Sarah!  I have been wanting to try making French Onion Soup, and I haven't found a recipe to try til now.  Sarah says its really easy, and I found it super tasty!  So I hope you enjoy!  Thanks Sarah!



French Onion Soup

6 cups thinly sliced onions
1 TB sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/3 cup vegetable oil
6 cups beef broth or stock
8 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or Swiss cheese

Cook the onions, sugar, and pepper in oil over medium-low heat for 20 ...minutes or until onions are caramelized, stirring frequently. Add the broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 inches from heat until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts)

No comments:

Post a Comment