Thursday, March 11, 2010

Baked Custard

So, I love Joy of Cooking, and I love pudding, and custard or anything of the kind.  My mom made this for dessert on Sunday when we joined them for dinner, and it was great!  My sisters didn't like it much at all, and I said, MORE FOR ME!  And the best part...LOW CARB!   So good.  And Mom once again told me she got the recipe from JOY!  So here you go. 

Baked Custard (pg 802 of Joy of Cooking)

3 large eggs
1/2 c sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 c milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
ground nutmeg to sprinkle on top

Whisk together eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl until well combined.    Steam milk in small saucepan, just til steamed.  Ladle in a small amount of milk into egg mixture, and blend well to temper eggs.   Slowly add the rest of the milk and continue to stir well until sugar is dissolved.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour into 5 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins (or oven safe teacups).  Bake in a water bath (a large [13x9] baking dish with about 1 inch of water in the bottom of it), at 325 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes, or until set but still quivery in the center.  Sprinkle with nutmeg.

We were talking about this, and decided it would be really good with some fruit or berries or something.  Or maybe to add some cinnamon to the custard before baking.  It's still really good by itself, but would also be good with a touch of other flavors with it.

3 comments:

  1. creme brulle sounds much yummier !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it does, but I am afraid of playing with fire and have never tried to make it. but I am willing to try if you would like me to. I have a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is always looking for a good excuse to make custard, but he's definitely never made a baked version before. I'm going to show him this recipe soon and start hinting. ;)

    ReplyDelete