Saturday, March 6, 2010

Green Eggs, and Potatoes and (Sausage)

Okay, so I wanted to do something fun for Dr. Suess' birthday and St. Patrick's Day.  But I didn't have any ham, and we did have some pork sausage and some potatoes.  So here is my little variation on Green Eggs and Ham.  It's a bit different and of course you can make ham instead of sausage, I just went by what I had in the fridge at the time.  Enjoy!

Green Eggs and Potatoes

2 eggs per person you are cooking for
1 c chopped fresh spinach
1 tsp basil pesto (I didn't use the homemade version, but you can get the recipe here.)
1/4 c milk or heavy cream
few drops green food coloring
2 previously baked potatoes, diced (or frozen and thawed country hashbrowns)
1 tbsp olive oil

Scramble eggs lightly, add milk, spinach, and pesto, beat well with fork or whisk.  Add green food coloring.  Cook potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until crispy, turning occasionally to get them evenly crispy.  Pour egg mixture over the top and stir to combine with potatoes, cook until eggs are firm and cooked well.  Serve with warm ham or sausage or bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment