Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Homemade Flour Tortillas

This one comes from my mother in law, and I have to admit, I have not tried them yet.  When I do, I will let you all know how they turned out.  Jeff has decided he likes to cook his own tortillas, rather than get the already finished ones at the store.  So I started getting the uncooked flour tortillas from our local friendly Sam's Club store, and he is hooked.  Maybe we could try this and see about not buying tortillas at all in the future!  Hmm, I wonder if I could make them whole wheat?

Flour Tortillas

4 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 C Shortening
1-2 C Hot Water (Start out with 1 C the add small amounts if needed).

Mix it all together kneading it by hand.   Start with 1 c of water, and if not enough, add more til all is combined.  Let sit 15 minutes before rolling it out, then heat over medium heat in skillet.  You don't need oil, but you can use oil if you want them crispy for tacos.  For burritos or wraps, just heat over medium high heat in a skillet until browned and appears like a tortilla--about 1 minute per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment