Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My first experience with Risotto.

So, my friend Miri is awesome and she shared this recipe with me.  I am taking her recipe today and I am planning to make this either today or tomorrow, and SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!  On the other hand I am so nervous because I have never made risotto before.  So I am sorry, I don't have any personal tips, but this look so dang good I couldn't resist it.

On thing I do know when making risotto, don't use regular rice.  You need to use the Arborio kind, it's a shorter grain and a lot starchier. The extra starch is what gives it the creaminess. I have heard of people using cauliflower or potatoes for risotto, but I have never tried it.

Thanks for sharing, Miri!


Mushroom Risotto
3 tbsp. butter
1 pint shitakes mushrooms
1 pint baby portabella
2/3 c of red wine or red wine vinegar
3/4 c milk or light cream

2 (more) tbsp. butter
1 White onion (finely chopped)
1 1/2 c of Arborio rice

4 c vegetable stock (you can use chicken stock if you want)
2 c water

½ c of cheese-- Asiago , or Parmesan

DIRECTIONS:
1. Melt butter and caramelize mushrooms until tender and yummy. Make sure mushrooms are chopped pretty small. Add wine and reduce until about half the liquid is gone, 3 or 4 minutes. Add cream and simmer for 5 more minutes. You don't want it to be too liquid-y. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. Simmer water and stock in a separate pot. Having it hot makes the process go faster.

3. Over medium heat cook the onion in the rest of the butter until tender. Add rice and coat with the butter and onions. Add simmering liquid mixture half a cup at a time and let cook off before adding the next. Stir constantly, so rice doesn’t stick. By the time you are out of liquid rice should be thoroughly cooked. If not, add more hot water and keep cooking.

4. Remove from heat and mix in cheese and mushroom mixture.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! So proud to have made it on your blog. It was my first time making risotto as well, so I'm sure you'll have no trouble.

    <3 Miri

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha well I had to share it. I was planning to make it tonight, but ran out of time, too much going on! So tomorrow. And I will add a picture once it's made.

    ReplyDelete